Thursday, April 14, 2005

Changes and Transitions

Since my daughter was born 9 days ago, my family has been in a great time of transition. As I finish up things here at MSU, move somewhere, and begin my internship, that time of transition will certainly continue.

My wife has transitioned a ton already. Two weeks ago, she was working a full-time job and a regular routine. Since the baby was born, she has hardly had any predictability in her life. I know it is very stressful for her, but she is handling it well. She is committed to staying home with Aidan and Regan until the end of June. It will be difficult, especially considering the attention that Aidan requires. I will still have to work, but I will do my part and take over when I get home.

The transition that is perhaps the most difficult is Aidan's. He is no longer an only child. He no longer goes to the babysitter that he's been going to since he was 6-weeks-old. He is sharing time and space with this baby that he seems to love, but doesn't know what to do with. He will soon leave the only home he has ever known. That's a lot for anyone, especially a 2-year-old.

This morning Kari and I discussed his (and her) need for a solid routine. He needs to get up at the same time, eat, go out, play, watch Sesame Street, and take a nap at exactly the same time every day. He had that at his babysitter's, but he has lost it in the almost 2 weeks that he's been at home. We owe it to him to reestablish his routine and help his life feel safe and predictable again. It will be hard to transition yet again into this regular routine, but we all need it.

No comments: