Thursday, August 18, 2005

[Passions Take Many Forms] ACU to perform "Seussical" as new Homecoming Musical

My the theatre department at my alma mater, Abilene Christian University, recently came under fire for casting a caucasian woman to play the title role in the musical Aida this fall. You can read article that seemed to spark the controversy here, President Royce Money's response here, and a 2nd ARN article describing the cancelation here. (Free Registration required to view each article)

Although I was dissappointed at the reaction and controversy that surrounded the casting decision, I cannot say I was surprised. In fact, I probably would have been one of the opponents of the casting decision if I didn't believe that I knew the hearts and reasoning of those who made the decision (Aida, more than being a story of black and white, is a story about different ethnicities and cultures. That was going to be reflected more than the traditional black/white cultures). In today's politically correct world, our social consciences are vigilantly on gaurd for anything that might be offensive. Frankly, that's a very good thing. It forces us to reconsider our assumptions and interact with people on an equal level. But sometimes our radars pick up something that isn't there. This was probably one of those times. I can't blame the people who objected to the casting. As I said, I could easily have been one of them. But I've seen the talent that they had cast (she is a fantastic actor and singer), and I know the people who made the decisions. Their hearts and minds are pure. They held no malice or prejudice in their casting. Perhaps they misjudged the reaction of the public, but that can be an easy mistake. I feel for them and everyone else connected to the ACU Theatre Department.

As a replacement, they have chosen to do Seussical - The Musical instead. They have a monumental task infront of them to pull it together in a mere two months, but if any department is up to the challenge, they are. I believe they had a similar task 13 or 14 years ago when they were preparing to do Annie Get Your Gun and had to change it to Meet Me in St. Louis because of some sort of problem with the licensing rights (that was a few years before I came). I wish them luck. I probably won't be able to see the show, but I look forward to hearing from those who will. The talent working on that show will likely make it work, and they will be able to rise from the recent controversy as strong as ever.

No comments: