Friday, September 14, 2007

Currently Listening: Spoon, Arcade Fire

I honestly do not know where I have been, but apparently, there's this really cool indie band from Austin called Spoon. I remember when their last album, Gimme Fiction, came out in 2005, but I don't remember it for any of the music; I only remembered the album art that I frequently saw on the front page of the iTunes Store. Fast forward to July 2007. I was listening to the podcast for NPR's "Sound Opinion". (By the way, every self-respecting music fan MUST listen to this weekly show. It is by far the smartest and most in-depth music/rock discussion on the radio. You can get the podcast here.) They reviewed the new Spoon album, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, and gave it their highest rating. The sample tracks from the album, however, did not seem particularly interesting to me, but I respect these guys enough that I kept an ear out for the album. Through the next 6 weeks or so, I began to feel a bit inundated. Every music site I went to was talking about the album. Even iTunes and Last.fm kept recommending it to me. So I broke down and got the album. On first listen, it didn't seem like anything special, but it has turned into one of those albums that really grows on you. the more I listen to it, the more I like it. It doesn't have the playful passion of Sufjan or the flash of Of Montreal, but it rocks. In many ways, it's a bit of a throwback to the pure guitar-driven rock of the early 1980s, but with a 2000s indie vibe. I never thought I would see that as a good thing, but there you go. Favorite tracks: The Ghost of You Lingers, My Little Japanese Cigarette Case

Now, the latest album from Arcade Fire, Neon Bible, I liked almost from the beginning. Despite the critical and popular success of their last album, Funeral, I was only marginally interested in The Arcade Fire. Although Funeral is powerful and creative, it just has never struck me as very interesting. Neon Bible, on the other hand, absolutely compels me. For instance, "Intervention" uses a huge church organ that just resonates through my whole body. Its power cannot be denied. Ironically, the lyrics reflect a certain cynicism about religion, which of course I find subversively appealing. In fact, throughout the album, their unique blend of non-rock instruments (hurdy gurdy, anyone?), creative hooks, and driving force make this one of my favorite albums of the year so far. Arcade Fire also appeared on Sound Opinions, but for more than a simple review; they were live in studio. I would encourage you to check out their archives to hear the interview. (For the record, I got this album months ago, but I'm still listening to it a lot, so I thought I should post about it.) Favorite tracks: Black Mirror, Intervention, No Cars Go, My Body is a Cage

1 comment:

Thomas and Larissa A. said...

Spoon is a great band. I saw Britt Daniel do a short set in a Weezer tribute in the Red Eyed Fly (small Austin club) a number of years ago, very cool. I'll have to check out that NPR show.

Thomas