Wednesday, June 01, 2005

This is exactly what I mean...

It seems that a radical, right-wing organization calling themselves "Christian" are again waging war against companies who do not advocate their narrow definition of family. The American Family Association (I find the name quite ironic) is leading a boycott of Ford Motor Company after it ended its boycott of Disney. Why, you ask? They seem to believe that Ford and Disney have done much to "affirm and promote the homosexual lifestyle". They point to donations that Ford makes to gay rights organizations. My response? Good for Ford. Regardless of what someone believes about how whether the gay/lesbian lifestyle is right or wrong, I do believe that it is wrong for radical reactionaries to try to take that right away from a person, whether that be through boycotts, legislation, or especially a ridiculous and oppressive constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

I'm not trying to debate whether or not it is right or wrong, but if you believe it is wrong, then you should at least allow individuals to decide for themselves. God gave us the freedom of choice in our lives, and I don't believe that we have the right to take away those choices that God gave. The American Family Association assumes that because I am (a) an evangelical Christian and (b) a family therapist that I hold the same values that they do. Rather, BECAUSE I am a Christian and BECAUSE I am I family therapist, they could not be more wrong.

No comments: