Monday, May 30, 2005

Assuming "Family Values"

I get irritated when people use the phrase "family values". I work with many families whom I would not want to emulate. To say that their values are in some way a good thing is ridiculous. Of course, I know that when people (usually politicians and the like) use the phrase, they are often referring to specific values that they assume all families have, based on either their little exposure to families or their ego that tells them that all "good" families believe as they do.

The problem is that the values they describe (usually having to do with sex or consumables of some kind) are either not values that I want or values that are inconsequential to me.

I make it my goal to not assume I know what values and beliefs others hold. (My dissertation is partially based on that belief.) I wish others would begin doing the same for me. I also consider myself a person who values my family above anything else in life. Yet, I constantly hear people spouting "family values" that I completely disagree with. Those "family values" are far from being valuable to my family.

No comments: