Thursday, May 19, 2005

[Passions Take Many Forms] 2005 Tony Nominations announced

I know I'm a week late on this, but I was out of town. The Tony nominations were announced, and I can't say I'm surprised by much. Monty Python's Spamalot received the most nominations (14), followed by Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and The Light in the Piazza with 11 each. I can't say that I've seen any of the shows that have been nominated because I haven't been to New York in 5 years, but I know which ones I'm rooting for. While I'm sure Monty Python's Spamalot and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels are fine shows, I really hope that The Light in the Piazza takes home some significant hardware. The music and lyrics are written by Adam Guetell, who also wrote one of my favorite musicals, Floyd Collins. Also, it seems to be the dark horse in the Best Musical category.

I also hope Pacific Overtures wins Best Musical Revival. I love the story and music from this show, which I consider to be one of Sondheim's least appreciated. Also, B. D. Wong is just cool as the Reciter.

On the non-musical side of things, I fully expect Billy Crystal 700 Sundays to win its category based on the unending praise I've heard for it and the mediocre responses that the other nominees have received.

I know absolutely nothing about any of the plays up for Best New Play, so I won't even mention them.

Best Revival of a Play, however, has some interesting nominees. 4 classics: Edward Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Glengarry Glen Ross, On Golden Pond,and Twelve Angry Men. I have no idea who to root for, because I've always loved Edward Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and Glengarry Glen Ross. They're just incredible. I think it will just come down to which company pulls off the play the best. In other words, I have no idea.

Regardless of who wins, however, it does not mean that the best shows win. I learned a long time ago that the shows that win are the ones that get all of the hype. The biggest example that I always point to is The Lion King winning over Ragtime a few years ago. I saw both shows and enjoyed them both, but Ragtime was clearly the better show. The Lion King had incredible costumes, great scenery, and plenty of flash, but the Tony for Best New Musical is supposed to go to the best overall new musical. Ragtime was clearly the best show. (I still get goosebumps when I hear the Prologue.) But, I'll still enjoy the Tonys. I'll just know that the best show might not always win.

Lastly, I heard today that Little Women is closing on Broadway, but it will tour. That's too bad. I had heard the cast recording, and while it was nothing special, it was a good little show that would have been great for family viewing. That's the way it goes, I guess. Maybe it will get new life on tour the way Big did a decade or so ago.

No comments: