Thursday, November 10, 2005

Disappointed in Christians (not Christianity)

I learned that the state I grew up in, Texas, recently passed Propositions 2, which is a consitutional definition of marriage as between a man and a woman. As my brother wrote, I am not surprised, but I am very disappointed. More than anything, I am dissappointed in the Chrisitans who champion this, as if they are doing anything to advance the Kingdom of God.

I am absolutely sick of the "religious right" taking issue a moral high ground with some issues and not with others. Where is the proposition to significantly reduce greehouse gases? Or fund the viability of alternative fuel sources? Where are the propositions to fund universal health care? Where are the propositions to fully fund higher education for inner city kids? Where are the propositions for better job training? Where are the propositions to make PEACE? (WWJB: Who would Jesus Bomb? Matthew 5:43-48 should give you an idea) Where are the propositions to HELP people??!! Those would be propositions that advance the Kingdom of God (see Mark 12:28-34).

Of all of the issues for Christians to hitch their politcial wagon to, I am disgusted, embarrassed, and disappointed that they chose something as divisive, hostile, and for the most part irrelevant as gay marriage. Whenever I hear about this issue, I am embarrassed that people lump me into the same category as them, simply because I am a Christian too.

I do not believe that the government should be in the business of defining marriage. It is a religious institution and should be defined by religious bodies, not a civil ones. It is also a clear violation of the separation of church and state, which I also believe is Biblical and Christian. Civil unions should define legal partnerships in the eyes of government; nothing more is needed.

"Give back to Caesar what is Caesar's, but give to God what is God's." -- Jesus wasn't just talking about money.


Edit:
Contrary to popular belief, gay marriage would not do anything to undermine or harm marriage. I don't think gay marriage would affect hetero marriage in any way. Divorce is the biggest threat to marriage. Where are the propositions to do something about divorce (and I don't mean banning it)? Where are the propositions to do something about sexism and gender stereotypes, which also undermine marriage? Where are the propositions limiting the number of hours that someone making $40,000+/year can work because they (especially men) need to spend more time with their families? Where are the propositions teaching family members how to treat each other? Those are the real threats to marriage, not gay marriage.

Don't try to tell me that gay marriage is a threat to the insitution of marriage when those issues are still out there. That's like saying Costa Rica (or Iraq...) is a bigger nuclear threat than North Korea.

1 comment:

ViC said...

hey my name's victor, noticed you visited my page one time or another. anyhow, that's some interesting perspective you got there. and i guess ,in a sense, i do agree with you that marriage should be left out of politics, but then again. government is suppost to do what the people can't, and the people can't really change the religious laws cuz they didnt make them. so isn't the 'obvious' route to take is to complain to the government and make them do something? haha i dont know, that's just me trying to make some sense into things