Sunday, March 19, 2006

The nature of evil

This morning in Kari's class at church, they were discussing the nature of evil spirits. After church, Kari asked me for my opinion, which of course I readily gave. The question was about whether evil spirits, such as those driven out by Jesus in the Gospels, actually exist.

I prefaced my explanation by saying, first, I think it is a matter of perception: the perception of evil spirits make them even more real to the person experiencing them. It's a philosophical assertion, but one that I believe to be true. For me, the notion of "evil spirits" goes back to the nature of evil itself. How is evil manifested? It's usually, if not always, manifested through the decisions, actions, and behaviors of humanity. Therefore, it makes sense to me that evil and all things evil (including Satan and demons) are creations of humanity.

Now, hear me out. I know I haven't fully fleshed this idea out, and I'm still working through exactly what it means both scripturally and profanely. I know that there are bound to be faults of logic, and I know that it is not the typical Christian view (although I find it hard to believe that I'm the first Christian to have thought of this), but I believe that Satan is nothing more than a spiritual manifestation of selfishness, callousness, and mortality of humanity. The Bible constantly emphasizes that good will ultimately triumph over evil and Christ will and has conquered the Devil. I don't think that's simply Christian optimism or some cryptic prediction of the future. It is the reasonable conclusion about the nature of evil. It is based in humanity, which is doomed through death. Good lives on through eternal life with God. Therefore, good triumphs over evil by necessity.

So, what are the logical conclusions of such a statement? First, what about Satan? I believe this means that Satan is a creation of humanity. More precisely, Satan is a creation of the free will that God has imparted to humanity. Just as we have the free will to choose good, we also have the free will to choose evil. We and everyone else, therefore, must live with the consequences of those decisions. So when Adam and Eve committed the first sin, it was a temptation from within, not something from without, that caused them to sin. It was the selfishness and arrogance of Adam and Eve (i.e. the Devil) that caused them to reject the wisdom of God. It is the same temptations that continue to tempt us today. Perhaps even the temptations of Christ in the desert came from the human urges within (he was fully human, after all). Second, what does that mean about demons? Perhaps demons are the physical manifestations of the evil perpetuated. (Although, I also suspect that some of the demonic possessions in the Bible may have been disorders now known as autism, MS, Tourette's, Bi-polar, schizophrenia, or some other disease or mental health disorder.) Demonic possession happens when our selfish desires and personal agendas replace those of God. We are "possessed" when we begin to believe that our wisdom is wiser than God's wisdom.

Third, what does that mean for the nature of Hell? I've believed for some time now that Hell may be better conceptualized as being in a continuous state of complete separation from God. While alive, we are at least connected to God through the constant opportunity to turn our lives around to do what is right. Heaven, therefore, is the complete absence of evil and the perpetual presence of good. Fourth, what does that mean about disease and natural disasters? I actually do not believe that question is relevant because it is related more to the mortality of humanity, rather than the evil within. When a hurricane or cancer strikes, it's not because of some evil force. Rather, I believe that it is simply a result of being mortal. We are not meant to live forever, so death and destruction is a natural, inevitable consequence of that mortality, but I do not see the connection there with evil.

For me, this helps answer the question of why bad things happen to good people. It also helps reconcile the logical inferences of observation with some of the seemingly contradictory Biblical descriptions of good and evil. It also shows me the great responsibility I have to always do what is right. This means devoting myself to living the good and perfect life that God has called me to live, rather than the tempting yet inherently flawed life of selfishness and excess I may desire. I must devote myself to just causes. God wants us to care for every individual sheep, not simply the majority. I must help feed the hungry, provide comfort for the destitute, take care of the environment, and stand up for justice for those who are marginalized or voiceless. I must not simply accept the majority as being right. Justice and liberty mean that even the most minor of minorities should be cared for.

Again, I understand that there are certainly gaps of logic and theology that I have neglected. I understand that not everything can be so neatly defined, least of all complex subjects such as heaven/Hell, good/evil, and God. I fully expect to come to question this belief eventually, perhaps very soon. But until then, this helps me understand a little more about my God, my world, and my responsibility.

No comments: