Sunday, September 18, 2005

Why I don't shop at Wal-mart

ACU Optimist Online - Wal-mart not so friendly after all

As I took a short break from my dissertation to eat lunch today, I was very pleased to see this article from The Optimist, the student newspaper at my alma mater, Abilene Christian University. It seems that The Optimist, or at least one editorial writer, has become aware of the unethical business practices and local community squeeze that Wal-mart uses to make their prices so low. She very accurately and convincingly illustrates the true cost of Wal-mart's low prices. They squeeze manufactures to lower their prices, often forcing costly outsourcing. They squeeze their employees, primarily women, to accept sub-standard wages, benefits and working conditions. And they squeeze local competition, which might cost slightly more, but usually has better customer service, better products, and a greater benefit to the local economy.

As an advocate for the desperately poor and destitute, I can't blame everyone for shopping there, however. I understand that when you can barely buy milk, bread, medication, and make the monthly rent, consumer high-ground doesn't hold much weight. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs certainly comes into play. But for everyone else (and I include myself, even though my family and I are on the tightest of tight budgets), I urge you not to shop at Wal-mart or Sam's Club. Do all of the other research you need. Visit WalmartWatch.com to get even more detailed information. In the end, you will see that the low prices come at a huge price, a price that affects all of us whether we realize it or not. Then, shop at Target, Meijer's, Krogers, Costco, local grocery stores and discount stores, and other businesses that know you don't have to sacrifice humanity and ethical conduct to do business the right way.

3 comments:

sarahdawn said...

Amen. I haven't shopped in a Wal-Mart in several years. Well said my friend.

Mary Lou said...

I just don't like to battle the parking lot and all the people in Wal Mart. I'm not surprised by the info you gave us about the squeeze. The people that work there don't always act like they are happy with that job. I wouldn't be. Now here is another reason for us in my town not to shop there. Last weekend there was a drive by. A woman with her family were loading groceries in their car. The man was seat belting the kids in the car while the woman was putting the groceries in. A car paused next to her, shouted something and then the next thing she knew, she was shot in the arm. Not a bad injury as it could have been, but did require surgery. Now why??? Who knows.

Kyle said...

While I wholeheartedly agree with everything said here and avoid The Wal whenever possible, sometimes I find that I am in need of a toilet brush, table lamp and a $5.99 copy of Billy Idol's comeback album, Devil's Playground at 2 in the morning.